Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Delivering Placentas

Yesterday I started the Labor & Delivery portion of my ob/gyn rotation -- the night shift.

It started and ended on quite an exciting note. As soon as I got there, a C-section was starting up, and I was told to scrub-in (a first!). I was right there in the thick of things -- holding the retractor, dabbing the oozing uterus with a lap, suctioning away blood from the peritoneal cavity. Needless to say, an exciting way to start this portion of my rotation.

Apparently, the ladies of Atlanta wanted to deliver babies last night. It started off with the C-section, then we had 3 more vaginal births, then a twin birth (vaginally, but in the OR in case things didn't work out), and another C-section for a 26wk fetus who wasn't getting enough blood perfusion through the placenta. Oh, and the twin birth, a singleton vaginal birth, and the 26wk C-section all happened at the same time around 5am!

I got to deliver 4 placentas (including the twin placentas -- cool!). I think at Midtown it's harder for a med student to delivery a baby since there are a lot of private docs who deliver their patients there. Hopefully, during my time in L&D, an Emory doc's patient will be willing to let me deliver their baby. Otherwise, I'll just become really good at delivering placentas ;)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had an exciting and busy night. I've never seen a C-Section or twins being born the entire time in Nursing school or the hospital. We love hearing about what you're getting to do and it sounds like this will be a busy rotation.

    ReplyDelete